We are looking for a West Midlands-based artist/filmmaker to create three or four x 1 minute films for the ‘It Gets Lighter From Here’ digital event on 21 December 2020. In addition to the main themes below, we would like the films to do three things alongside:
- Showcase the breadth, scale and diversity of the West Midlands Cultural Sector
- Highlight the joy and happiness that the sector creates
- Highlight the safety the sector is providing during Covid-19
Deadline for submission: 1 December 2020, 5pm
To submit a proposal, please submit a maximum of 1 page of A4 outlining your proposed concept, and your CV. You can also send this via audio/video of no more than 4 minutes (all ideas and proposals will remain confidential).
Submissions and Questions to be submitted to email@example.com by 5pm on 1 December. You will be notified by 3 December at the latest in order to provide time to create the work.
About It Gets Lighter From Here
21 December is the shortest day of the year. It is also the last Monday before Christmas, the start of a festive season that is likely to be seriously overshadowed by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
On the night of the 21st – the Winter Solstice, marking the shortest day and longest night of the year – we want artists and cultural institutions across the West Midlands to come together to provide multiple moments of happiness and hope under the banner: It Gets Lighter From Here.
This is why over 35 organisations are realising a number of digital micro commissions, each no more than sixty seconds long, which will be released across various social media platforms creating a region-wide celebration of hope, optimism and possibility for the future, and of the value in creativity and the arts.
The project aims to involve a huge cross-section of artists and art forms – from theatre and dance, to spoken word and music – from the most internationally renowned to the most recently emerged.
Content will be shared via the hashtag #ItGetsLighterFromHere, reaching substantial audiences and networks from across the participating organisations, artists, region and beyond.
Following the event on 21 December, the collection of work shared across social media platforms may be assembled into an online collection that will be available for sharing into 2021.
About The Commission:
- We are interested in commissioning an artist/filmmaker based in the Midlands
- Respond to the theme of ‘It Gets Lighter From Here’
- Each film must be no longer than 60 seconds in length
- Be suitable for distribution on social media platforms, for digital audiences
- Have integrated access provision included before distribution, with a minimum of subtitling / captioning for D/deaf audiences
Platforming and distribution:
- Content must be delivered and ready to be distributed by Monday 21st December
Content will be uploaded and platformed by Culture Central using the hashtag #ItGetsLighterFromHere.
There are other commission opportunities from organisations in the region as part of this event – you can see them here.